Lead Software Developer
Company: Questar Assessment
Location: Apple Valley
Posted on: June 14, 2019
SUMMARY: The Lead Software Developer will be a full-stack developer
working on Questar's multi-platform code bases. You will be
overseeing code produced by a team of developers for implementing
new features, maintaining existing code, refactoring existing code,
establishing and refining development standards across the breadth
of products used both internally and customer facing at Questar
Assessment, Inc. Questar's code base primarily includes
source internal tools, and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 database code.
All code is currently under source control using Git repositories.
As such, you will lead the teams through concerns ranging from code
architecture and delivery, SQL queries, Mac/Win/Linux desktops, iOS
and Android tablets, and Chromebooks. You will assist the
development manager and business analyst through prioritization of
stories and bug tickets in effort to align with the team and
corporate goals. Your experience and knowledge will help to drive
Questar's student test-taking platform to well perceived products
that brings confidence and delight to students and teachers across
districts in United Status. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Estimation of project effort and technical design documentation
to direct Developers approach
- Collaborate with Directors and IT Project Managers to provide
accurate work estimates
- Create efficiencies between development and requirements
gathering with supplemental technical design documentation
- Monitor performance against technical documentation to provide
continuous improvement as needed
- Collaborate with BA, QA, off-shore resources, and product
owners to develop new enhancements and releases
- Lead development team, including mentorship of junior team
members. Development to support product and project needs
- Provide development coding and consulting support to products
- Isolate key areas of concern and document needs for
implementation team to be aware of as products are delivered for
use in Production environments
- Integrate with client implementation team to provide
development guidance and performance feedback to improve code
- Research new technologies and build prototypes as the testing
industry continues to evolve
- Learn and ensure item and assessment publishing and delivery
are QTI/APIP conformant
- Enhance current system to ensure backend scalability and
front-end design integrity
- Developing updates to existing internal and external facing
software to enhance the customer experience and provide development
staff with easily maintainable code.
- Developing updates to existing features in student test-taking
platform to resolve issues on various OS, such as iOS, Android,
etc. Code-review and mentoring other developers
- Review and critique database code to ensure quality and
- Collaborate with Architects in best practices for code
implementation with code reviews prior to deployment from the
- Work one-on-one and in small team groups to discuss and refine
poorly performing code
- Develop code with front-end developers to streamline and
support online content authoring and publishing capability that is
needed to feed new and innovative items to students across
- Develop clean code that utilize proven design pattern in a
test-driven development environment Trouble-shooting and production
support of client issues
- During live production activities respond to client support
requests and customer service requests with solutions in
collaboration with company architects
- Work with Infrastructure teams to trouble-shoot problem
- Provide clear and consistent communication around solutions and
timelines to client-facing program management teams.
- Experience: 7+ years of software development using
- Full-stack awareness from front-end to database design and
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or
university, or equivalent work experience
- Master's Degrees in technology field a plus.
- Experience with at least one framework/library like
bootstrap.js, foundation.js, angular.js, react.js
jQuery, backbone.js, modernizr.js, d3.js
- Ability to write clean, standardized, and code that performs
optimally in highly concurrent environments.
- Experience with "Sr. Software Developer" responsibilities
across internal development team, experience with offshore
development teams a plus.
- Ability to consume and create APIs and web services using
- Experience with Waterfall and Agile development and familiarity
- Experience with contribution to public open source front end
development code base is a plus
- Knowledge of education standard such as QTI/APIP, SIF, AIF is a
plus Other Requirements: Must be authorized to work in the US and
not require visa sponsorship now or in the future. Must be willing
to relocate to the Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN area (telecommuting not
available) SKILLS REQUIRED: Communication
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all members of the
organization in person and during remote conferences.
- Ability to understand through communication the needs of the
business and then relay that information to the appropriate
business and/or technical resources.
- Ability to clearly explain application concepts and procedures
to appropriate staff as necessary.
- Mentoring other software developer positions to improve their
skills and work product
- Working with business analyst roles to create better
efficiencies for developers by shaping the nature of the BA's work
on business requirements and functional specification Personal
- Clear, effective written communications.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated a MUST.
- Team oriented, open, honest and collaborative non-political
- Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Write clean, clear and commented code
- Ability to test your code and code of your peers
- Hard working, with "delivery to customer" in mind
Keywords: Questar Assessment, Apple Valley , Lead Software Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Apple Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!