Manager, Nursing - Emergency
Company: Mission Hospital Mission Viejo
Location: Apple Valley
Posted on: May 3, 2021
We are looking for a Manager, Nursing for the Emergency
Department at St. Mary Medical Center.
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly hours
Shift: 10-hour, Evenings
Provides an optimal practice environment that ensures the delivery
of quality patient care. Responsible for planning, directing and
managing the patient care delivered to a designated population.
Oversees the 24-hour operation of the patient care department with
accountability for leadership, budget preparation and overall
fiscal management, staffing, planning, organizing and controlling
in collaboration with department director. Role models proactive,
collaborative working relationships across all hospital functions
in an interdisciplinary approach to patient care. Develops
programs, policies, procedures, and standards of care to ensure
patient's care needs are assessed, evaluated, and met.
- Develops and manages patient care delivery process for a
designated patient population ensuring that policies, procedures,
standards of care, and standards of practice are consistent across
the nursing organization as well as with current nursing research
and practice in collaboration with Clinical Education
- Establishes and maintains a positive, professional image.
Recognizes staff contributions consistently and fosters educational
and developmental opportunities for nursing staff.
- Uses performance reviews to motivate and encourage staff.
Achieves 100% timely performance appraisals for assigned
- Supports and fosters strong staff morale on unit.
- Builds effective teams committed to organizational goals,
fosters collaboration, and encourages as well as empowers others to
achieve. Accurately assesses the strengths and developmental needs
of staff and provides timely, constructive feedback that
contributes to other's development.
- Provides positive leadership and oversees supervision to all
staff on unit, particularly new caregivers/less experienced
- Understands chain of command and uses authority to proactively
problem solve. Fosters open communication with staff and encourages
the open expression of ideas and opinions, listens well, prepares
and delivers clear presentations, conveys information clearly and
effectively through both formal and informal conversation and
documents. Communicates needs, issues and concerns appropriately,
utilizing the chain of command.
- Ensures a proactive approach for patient rounds/excellent
communication/intervention on behalf of patients and families at
risk. Facilitates timely follow through on all patient problems and
communicates such to appropriate doctors, managers, and other
departments as necessary.
- Identifies opportunities for process/practice improvement and
facilitates implementation of required changes. Reviews
Confidential Event Notifications as well as notice trends and
informs immediate supervisor of any emerging issues
- Facilitates complete and appropriate follow-up of problems and
continuous readiness opportunities and communicates status of
unresolved issues to immediate supervisor.
- Recruits and hires the appropriate people to help build a
strong team with complimentary strengths.
- Ensures ongoing, positive recognition to staff for
contributions and outcomes. Provides timely, accurate information
to staff via formal and informal staff meetings.
- Acts as a positive role model for facilitating and implementing
- Manages staffing, schedules and maintains adequate staffing
i.e. DHS nurse: patient ratio requirements, patient acuity, budget
and census. Ensures completion of all staffing related
documentation. Monitors the staffing costs per unit of service on a
daily basis to manage within budget. Develops and implements an
annual operating budget and capital budget in collaboration with
- Develops clear and professional communication with physicians
by facilitating effective and timely communication of
patient-related information to medical staff, providing immediate
follow-up on MD concerns, and assures that MD orders for treatments
and medications are carried out accurately and timely.
- Ensures staff is competent and performing within the
appropriate scope of practice. Ensures staff has tools to do their
- Ability to problem solve, analyze situations, think critical,
give constructive feedback, supervise and team with others.
- Mentors a positive image of the profession regarding the
values/professional/ethical/legal framework through regular
presence on the nursing unit.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or obtained within 4 years of hire date.
- Coursework/Training - Unit Specific competency within 30 days
- 3 years of experience in an acute hospital environment.
- 2 years of experience in a related specialty unit.
- Current California Registered Nurse.
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider.
- ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification.
- PALS (Pediatric Life Support) Certification
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education : Master's Degree
Experience : 2 years of management experience.
License/Certification: Specialty certification.
St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC) is an acute care hospital with 213
beds and over 1,750 employees making it one of the region's largest
employers serving communities of the High Desert. The facility was
constructed in 1956 and joined the St. Joseph Health System in
This facility has the only Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert
Accredited by California Children Services and has been granted
approval as a Special Hospital with the California Children's
Services Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was
accredited as a primary Stroke Receiving Center in 2018, the only
stroke-receiving center in the High Desert.
The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this Hospital are
Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and Vascular
Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services, Respiratory
Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services, Women &
Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Keywords: Mission Hospital Mission Viejo, Apple Valley , Manager, Nursing - Emergency, Other , Apple Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!