Surgery Scheduler - Perioperative Admin
Company: Mission Hospital Mission Viejo
Location: Apple Valley
Posted on: June 6, 2021
We are looking for a Surgery Schedulerfor the Perioperative
AdminDepartment at St. Mary Medical Center.
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: Part Time - 40 Biweekly Hours
Functions in the operating room as primary scheduler for all
elective and emergency surgical procedures and entry of all data in
the computer system. Works in collaboration with the medical staff,
nursing staff and other health care professionals. Obtains
verification of insurance, authorization, and precertification for
- Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four
core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by
caregivers in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health
- Schedules all procedures within Peri-operative Services
elective / emergent alike. Must know all necessary equipment in
each procedure and be able to explain them in a clear manner to
vendors while coordinating coverage for the procedure.
- Obtains and enters all necessary booking information from
person requesting the surgical time. Reconciles scheduling
conflicts during the booking process, seeks assistance as
- Reviews and updates surgery schedules daily and refers
conflicts and procedural questions to the department
- Follows established guidelines for scheduling the number of
rooms on a given day, prepares and distributes the surgery schedule
and attempts to minimize downtime of rooms between cases.
- Communicates the physicians needs to the appropriate
individuals of the surgical team.
- Comprehends instrument/equipment limitations of the department
and coordinates availability with scheduling.
- Communicates with physicians offices regarding status/time
change of cases in progress.
- Maintains patient records from the day of and previous
- Compiles census statistics and distributes reports as
- Maintains a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness in
recording information. Inputs all patient data into the computer.
Maintains and follows HIPAA guidelines while obtaining patient
- Obtains verification of insurance, authorization and
precertification for outpatient procedures. Communicates with
responsible parties to resolve any and all diagnosis, CPT and ICD-9
- Preforms accurate charge entry for procedures performed in
- Maintains electronic documentation of procedure request
- Maintain records for physician block time.
- Archives department logs and maintains according to
- Facilitates vendor coverage for short notification
- Enter anesthesia assignments into PICIS.
- Distribute surgical services schedule to appropriate
departments i.e., procedure schedule, call schedule.
- Coordinates with other department and physicians offices to
meet the needs of the patient.
- Coordinates with Imaging Services, Surgery and Imaging RNs when
scheduling specialized procedures.
- Performs department audits.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of computer operation.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- H.S. Diploma or GED or equivalent educ/experience
- Coursework/Training - Environmental orientation within 30 days
Experience:Unit specific experience.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education:Coursework/Training - Business college.
St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC) is an acute care hospital with 213
beds and over 1,750 employees making it one of the region's largest
employers serving communities of the High Desert. The facility was
constructed in 1956 and joined the St. Joseph Health System in
This facility has the only Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert
Accredited by California Children Services and has been granted
approval as a Special Hospital with the California Children's
Services Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was
accredited as a primary Stroke Receiving Center in 2018, the only
stroke-receiving center in the High Desert.
The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this Hospital are
Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and Vascular
Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services, Respiratory
Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services, Women &
Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Keywords: Mission Hospital Mission Viejo, Apple Valley , Surgery Scheduler - Perioperative Admin, Other , Apple Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!