Certified Lab Technician I - Clinical Lab
Company: St. Joseph Health
Location: Apple Valley
Posted on: June 6, 2021
We are looking for a Certified Laboratory Technician I for the
Clinical Lab Department at St. Mary Medical Center.
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: On Call / Per Diem
Shift: 8-hour, Days (Variable)
The Certified Laboratory Technician I will perform all
phlebotomy procedures according to laboratory protocol in
compliance with the requirements set forth in the Federal Register
and the State of California Personnel Code of Regulations. Performs
various technical specimen collection procedures for the Clinical
Lab Department. Performs other duties as assigned. Functions as an
assistant in laboratory in the pre-analytical processes. Assists
with specimen processing, prepares specimens to outside
laboratories, assist under the direct supervision of a Clinical
Laboratory Scientist. Assist in preventive maintenance,
troubleshooting, has knowledge of reagent stability and storage,
assist in the performance of quality control procedures, and other
- Follows standard work as written in the policy manuals.
Example: always follows the Laboratory Services policies,
phlebotomy policies (i.e.: when cancel an order properly document
the nurse's name, department policies, etc.).
- Follows standard work as written in all Non-Laboratory Services
policies that apply. Example: Payroll policies, Human Resources
policy etc., i.e., Attendance policy, always clock in/out, wear ID
badge, properly use and complete Oops slips, etc.
- Checks all data for correctness; patient identification, times,
etc. Example: standard protocol followed to verify the patient name
using two identifiers, review of computer data and written data for
- Communicates information accurately, clearly and concisely to
ensure understanding. Example: clarification of orders, relay
important pre-analytical and post-analytical information, etc.
- Receives and handles specimens appropriately in a timely
manner. Example: follows standard established turn-around-time
protocol for ER and floor specimens.
- Practices universal precautions. Example: used lab coats are
never taken into non-biohazard areas and are put in the laundry
container appropriately. Use of PPE, hand washing.
- Follows established standard work and procedures for data entry
to logs and forms. Example: logs/forms for PKU, decontamination,
temperature, maintenance, etc.
- Transports/confirms delivery of Routine, Urgent and STAT
specimens to the laboratory. Example: prioritizes work according to
STAT, Urgent and Routine orders.
- Communicates with supervisors, Shift Lead reporting pending
problem issues and irregularities. Example: reports errors,
potential errors, incident reporting issues, etc.
- Performs standard work as directed by the Lead/CLS to help
expedite patient care. Example: follows the instructions given by
the person in charge the first time asked, pre-analytical Q.C.
- Assures proper cleaning and orderliness of work area. Example:
decontaminates counter tops, safety cabinets. Restocks supplies.
Clean up after yourself in the break room, etc.
- Performs according to standard work adult, geriatric,
adolescent and/or pediatric, and neonatal venipuncture/skin
puncture. Example: tries only twice for hard-stick, is able to
successfully draw the hard-sticks, etc.
- Follows standard practice for specimen processing. Example:
proper centrifuge loading, specimen distribution, locating
specimens for add-on-tests/send-outs, etc.
- Reports to work on time and follows standard work for
break-time protocol. Example: does not exceed allotted break time,
does not skip breaks without supervisor/lead approval, etc.
- Maintains specimen integrity. Specimens are handled according
to order, specimen source. Example: follows storage temperature and
time requirements for specimens submitted to Lab.
- Understands and demonstrates knowledge for specimen
requirements. Example: procedures for reference laboratory
specimens, specimen requirements; prepares blood samples for
- Communicates according to the standard protocol per AIDETS.
Example: knows and uses AIDETS, proper phone technique, following
core values, being respectful, etc.
- Assists with requesting, storing and handling supplies
properly. Example: notify CLS/lead when a supply is low; properly
handle refrigerated/frozen supplies, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to accurately read and transcribe words and
- Manual dexterity to manipulate laboratory supplies such as
pipettes and specimen tubes.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- H.S. Diploma or GED or equivalent educ/experience
- Coursework/Training - Completed 40 hours of practical
instruction from a phlebotomy training program and have passed a
written examination in phlebotomy administered by a certifying
organization approved by the department pursuant to Section 1035.1
and Section 1035.7.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Associate's Degree
Experience: One (1) year experience as a Certified Phlebotomy
St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC) is an acute care hospital with
213 beds and over 1,750 employees making it one of the region's
largest employers serving communities of the High Desert. The
facility was constructed in 1956 and joined the St. Joseph Health
System in 1992.
This facility has the only Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert
Accredited by California Children Services and has been granted
approval as a Special Hospital with the California Children's
Services Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was
accredited as a primary Stroke Receiving Center in 2018, the only
stroke-receiving center in the High Desert.
The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this Hospital
are Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and Vascular
Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services, Respiratory
Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services, Women &
Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Keywords: St. Joseph Health, Apple Valley , Certified Lab Technician I - Clinical Lab, Other , Apple Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!